Divorce Cost in Virginia

The contested divorce cost in Virginia is about $14,500, it may range from $4,500 to $32,000. The cases that involve legal disagreements regarding custody of children, property division, alimony or child support, or high net worth spouses will have the following costs:

  • Children-related disputes will make the divorce cost in VA about $21,800.
  • Property-related issues will raise the cost to approximately $20,100.
  • Alimony-related problems may result in a $20,500 divorce cost.
  • High net worth divorces may cost about $37,200.

If the case needs trial, the final number will depend on the severity and number of issues to be resolved. For example, if child custody issues lead to trial, the final cost of the divorce will be about $25,600. In case of disputes over alimony or child support, the cost will be approximately $30,400. And if the main problem is property division, the case may cost about $25,600.

It’s important to remember that these are only the average numbers. Depending on the case, the final cost may be up to $200,000. This will mostly include attorney fees, fees for other specialists related to the issues of the divorce, and trials.

Of course, an uncontested divorce cost in VA may be much cheaper. This implies that you don’t hire an attorney. In this case, you will have to cover only the mandatory fees.

The main expenses are:

Name of the service Costs
Court filing fee $100-$200
Summons $5-$10
Notary costs $5 per signed paper; $25 if you use eNotarization
Papers service $35-$100
Attorney services $280 per hour (on average)

Some of the additional costs you may need to cover are:

Name of the service Costs
Child custody evaluation $1,000-$2,500 if court-ordered,
$5,000-$15,000 if private
Real estate appraisal $261-$412 per house
Residential lot appraisal $475-$575 per a lot that is less than 1 acre

The final number may change due to other requests you might have for the court or the government regarding your divorce. Court-related fees, as well as lawyer service fees, may also change annually, so make sure you consult a specialist or contact your local court prior to filing the petition.